People think that to become a motorcycle dealer, requires a lot of money, documentation and some other related stuff. Actually, following a few basic steps you can get you in that business very quick.
1. The most obvious first step is to know as much as possible about motorcycles. Since your business will be based on them, you need to get into details about each or at least the top one and then develop. Every customer have different expectation, questions etc. and you need to be prepared for almost every scenario.
2. “Motorcycle” is a broad term, which means you need pick at the begging what types of motorcycles you want to sell. One of the many types are including: sport bikes, touring, dirt bikes or cruisers. People are more likely to look for used bikes, and you need to have such in stock too. Evaluating what types of bikes, you would like to sell, determine how much you`re going to spend.
3. Next step is to apply for a business license. Every person can check within its city, what are the requirements. Without the license, you can`t sell.
4. Find appropriate location for your physical store. One important note here. Since you`re dealing with motorcycles, you need to get a space large enough to hold all the bikes. Get an extra space for some inventor and even a repair storage at the back.
5. Start to gather your inventory. Check what types of inventory you will need, which will help you determine how much you will need to spend.
6. Last, but not least is to learn additional skills such as “sales”, which will help you to know how to promote your products, finding their unique selling points etc. Also, you might need an extra help in different areas like marketing, customer support or IT, which is another expense for you.
Running your own motorcycle dealer shop is not a “rocket science”, but requires step by step preparation and a lot of time. Why not even partner with a motorcycle retailer for motorcycle clothing, helmets and more.